Tuesday 12 July 2011

Blondarexia: totally addicted to bleach



Blondarexia: Being so addicted to bleaching your hair that it's almost white, flat, monochromatic and burnt to a frazzle.


It happens to the best of us, this blondarexia. But for me it's becoming an annual event... May rolls around, the sun creeps out of the clouds and suddenly my wishy washy brown hair just won't do anymore and I find myself calling the hairdressers and booking in for a full head of highlights.
I'm not the only one though. Katy Perry is going blonde, Cheryl Cole has lightened up and Jennifer Aniston's addicted to the bleach now more than ever. So if it's good enough for them, then it's good enough for me. It seems that - in the summer at least - blondes do have more fun.

But if you're like me and suffering from severe blondarexia (I once had a full head of highlights before returning the following day for another go until it was white...what can I say? Peroxide is my crack) or just have a few highlights to brighten up your hair then you MUST take care of your locks. Frazzled, dry, brassy blonde hair with epic roots is never a good look (just ask Britney Spears). Since I have been down this route before (and miraculously, still have hair in decent condition in my head) I felt I would share the best blonde hair products on the market to keep your hair looking A list.


Highlights fade, regardless of your natural hair colour. They tend to adopt a brassy warmer shade and fade into a block colour unless you use a decent shampoo. A good purple one will tone down brassiness (nicotine coloured hair is not good), keep the definition between the different shades in your hair and keep it looking fresher for much longer. And at just over a fiver, there really is no excuse. Go, go now!
2) A deep conditioner: Aussie 3 Minute Miracle Colour Reconstructor, £5.10This is an absolute god send for dried out ends. Apply to damp hair and make sure you leave on for a few minutes (or overnight if your hair is seriously dehydrated). Rinse it thoroughly and use once a week.

Use after washing on damp hair to defend your hair against heat appliances. It will protect it from the wear and tear of heat appliances, make it easier to style and definitely delay your next hair cut. (And if you're going on holiday Boots has a mini version for less than £2. Result!)

4) Hair straighteners: GHD Gold Classic, £119

When I discovered these over 10 years ago, just in time for my awkward teenage years, they changed my life. My ridiculously thick Arabic hair was finally tameable. At £119 they may be expensive but they are the only appliance you'll ever need. Your hair will be glossy, smooth and shiny in a matter of minutes when you use these bad boys. (Yep, they're so good I refer to them as "bad boys". I offer no higher compliment.)


5) Hair serum: Kerastase Nutritive Serum, £15.25

Blonde hair doesn't reflect the light nearly as well as dark hair but that doesn't mean you have to totally sacrifice shine - a good serum can help you fake it. Kerastase's serum is light enough that it won't weigh down your hair but still provides glass-like shine and helps hide any split or damaged ends. (It's a bit pricey but trust me, that bottle will last you ages).



6) Hairbrush: Tangle Teezer, £9.99

I cringe when I see people hacking at their wet hair with a normal hair brush. "AHHHH THE DAMAGE! I CAN SEE YOUR HAIR FALLING APART, STOP IT, STOP IT NOOOOOOOoooooo," screams my internal dialogue (who is very dramatic). Enter, the Tangle Teezer. As seen on Dragons Den, this great little invention has uniquely designed bristles that flick and glide through hair, dramatically reducing damage and breakages. Great for use on wet or dry hair.



Phew. That may seem like a lot of products but to me the more high maintenance you are with your hair, the better it will look, regardless of the colour (but especially for blondes). Giselle, Scarlet Johansson and Cameron Diaz don't have those bouncy blonde locks without effort, do they? As my 85 year old Grandmother once said, "There is no such thing as a wash and go hair style." Vanity runs in the family clearly...

1 comment:

  1. And wear a hat in the sun, otherwise it will be
    all in vain.

    ReplyDelete