Monday 31 October 2011

"Show me your dirty face, put away that butters one"

A sober Black Swan
Ahhh Sunday morning. The sun is streaming in through the window of my massive Hollywood mansion. I dreamily roll over and kiss my beautiful boyfriend Zac Efron good morning. Ever the charmer, Zac just so happened to remark on how gorgeous I look in the mornings... 


And then I woke up. What actually happened was I spent the first few minutes downing water, groaning and competing with my best friend - who was asleep on the floor -who would win the "most hungover" award. All the while trying to remember what exactly happened the night before. We had thrown a Halloween party and unfortunately I had been left with a rather terrifying hangover.

Much to my dismay, I had also been left with a rather terrifying face (and this was long after I'd removed all my Black Swan make up). Unlike when I was a teenager, my face is starting to show the effects of heavy weekends more than it used to (is this ageing? Oh my god, is it starting already?!).

After a few drinks (or ten), my skin is, unsurprisingly, a bit of a state. It's becomes dry and normal moisturiser barely makes a difference, I usually get quite spotty (which may explain why I wake up alone most weekends) and the bags under my eyes are more impressive than the Mulberry 'Alexa' I had on my arm the night before.

Now whilst the easiest option would be to drink less and cut out the social smoking, that's just no fun (and my reward for not smoking during the day anymore is to have some when I drink, SO SUE ME). I've searched far and wide, trawled many a beauty website and Boots aisle and there's a few products that help return my face back to a far less scary one. And here they are:

1) Liz Earle Hot Polish Cleanser

I usually manage to rub a cleansing wipe over my face after a night out but the next morning there's always traces of mascara and fake tan that I didn't remove so I always use Liz Earle's Hot Cloth Cleanser the morning after. If you're not on board with hot cloth cleansers yet then you're missing out as this always leaves my skin looking healthy and radiant. The thick cream is applied on dry skin then removed with the muslin cloth that comes with the cleanser. The cloth gentle exfoliates your skin (far better than scrubs I feel which tend to be too harsh or make me break out) leaving your skin gleaming. Also, it's so moisturising your skin doesn't feel tight afterwards and you can easily skip a moisturiser if you want.


2) Nivea creme
Cheap and cheerful, I've yet to find a moisturiser thicker than Nivea Creme. It may be too heavy for oily skins or anyone who is prone to break outs but if, like me, your skin feels like it needs extra hydration after a night out then this does the trick. (I also double it up as a hand cream.)

3) Laura Mercier Secret Concealer

I don't like to leave the house often when I'm hungover (this is a selfless act for the good of mankind. No one else needs to be subjected to my butters hangover face) but sometimes I just NEED to get to Dominos. If that's the case then I'm not going out without this concealer. It's very thick and dense so will cover up even the most stubborn of under eye circles (which I get pretty badly). Unfortunately it won't erase the flashbacks from the night before.

4) MAC blusher (in Fleur Power)


A swipe of pink blusher really helps to counteract the sallow grey colour that I usually sport and this MAC blusher manages to make me look, well...alive. 'Fleur Power' is a light, rosy pink shade that will look pretty on just about everyone.

5) Nurofen
Remember to buy it the day before. It's just a basic survival skill for boozing. You're welcome.

4 comments:

  1. your outfit is awesome! good choice x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Surprisingly easy to recreate as well! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. amazing pic! :) xoxo

    http://justtiffeny.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi.... It was really looks amazing.. ! :)

    ReplyDelete